This Christmas Chocolate Wafer Coconut Roulade is made with a biscuit base crust and is filled with pastry cream, topped with chocolate ganache.
The other night when I was making the Almond Paste for the Christmas cake, I had two egg yolks which I wanted to use.
I decided that the best way to use them was to make a custard cream. However, I still wanted to make a similar Espresso Coconut Roulade I saw at a friend’s blog but unfortunately there were no eggs in that recipe.
I had already bought the biscuits and coconut and was still determined to make the roulade with a few tweaks on my part.
In order to make the roulade you will have to use cling film to shape it and then put it in a loaf tin in order to set.
The following day I removed the cling film and covered it with chocolate ganache and sprinkled some coconut on top. The flowers on top are edible and came all the way from Cyprus. These were intended for my Christmas Cake decoration but I still have a lot left for the Christmas Cake.
You can see my Christmas Cake, which I decorated with more edible decorations.
Do you like the tablecloth in the above picture?
I embroided it and also made the lace 25 years ago when I was pregnant to my second son and was confined to bed all day, as I had some problems with the pregnancy.
I didn’t like it and never used it before but today when I was taking out my other Christmas tablecloths I saw it and I realized that it would be perfect for Christmas.
You can find many Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.
For the crust:
- 3 Amaretti Wafers x 70 grams (2.5 oz) each
- 3 Chocolate Wafer x 50 grams (1.75 oz) each
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup almonds
- 30 grams (1 oz) butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cream half-half
- 1 shot espresso cherry liqueur (or other liqueur)
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 150 grams (5.30 oz) butter
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) couverture chocolate
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup half-half cream
- Start with the pastry cream, as it will need some time to cool.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan.
- In another saucepan, add the yolks, cornstarch and sugar and whisk. If you cannot mix it, add a tablespoon of cold milk and mix it. Add the hot milk whisking continuously and put it on the heat until the cream sets. Add the vanilla essence, mix and set aside to cool.
- In a food processor, add the wafers, a few at a time and powder. Empty them in a big bowl.
- Do the same with the almonds but do not powder completely. Add to the bowl. Add the coconut and set aside.
- Prepare the Buttercream. Add the butter, sugar and vanilla in the mixer bowl and whisk until white and fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape down the butter a few times, if necessary. When the custard cream has cooled start adding it to the butter cream until it is incorporated. Mix in the coconut and set aside.
- In the same saucepan where the custard was, add one egg, 30 grams (1.05 oz) butter and the half-half cream and whisk on low heat. As soon as the butter melts remove from the heat and start mixing in the wafers with all the other ingredients to make a thick paste. Finally add the Espresso Cherry liqueur and mix.
- Cut two pieces of cling film about 40 cm each and join together. Spread the crust which should be about 1 cm thick and on top add the cream. Lift the edge of the cling film and roll into a roulade, leaving the cling film outside of course. Place in a loaf pan and refrigerate until the cream has set, for about two hours.
- In a double boiler, add the couverture, butter and cream simultaneously and on low heat mix until the chocolate melts.
- Spread over the roulade and sprinkle some coconut on top. Decorate with edible candy or spoon sweets (fruit preserves).
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 684Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 81mgSodium 266mgCarbohydrates 74gFiber 5gSugar 55gProtein 13g
PIN FOR LATER
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!