Sharing is caring!
These stuffed Melomakarona are Greek spiced honey cookies, which are filled with white chocolate, walnuts and raspberry jam.
I used the Mandarin Melomakarona recipe I made two years ago, which was a twist to the recipe in my cookbook Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!, which I think is perfect, but each year I love to experiment with the filling.
This year, I melted some white chocolate in which I mixed some toasted walnuts and raspberry and blueberry jam and a couple of drops of raspberry essence.
I made the cookies into balls which were weighed around 35 grams each.
I then flattened the ball into a disc and added 1 teaspoon filling. I then folded the dough around the filling to form a round or oblong cookie, making sure to enclose the mixture.
I then turned the melomakarono over and on the side without any seam, and formed a pattern on top.
To do this you can use a box grater or a fork.
When they are baked the chocolate melts inside and penetrates the dough making these Melomakarona delicious and the flavour is divine!
My Kourabiedes this year were also filled with the same mixture as above. You can find the basic recipe here.
Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, filled with Happiness and Peace on Earth!
You can find my Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.
For the cookies:
- 250 grams good quality mild olive oil
- 230 grams sugar
- 30 ml fresh mandarin juice
- 30 ml mandarin liqueur
- 950 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 – 2 tbsp mandarin zest (only a very thin layer)
- ½ tsp powdered cloves
- ½ tsp powdered cinnamon
For the syrup:
- 400 grams sugar, (almost 2 cups)
- 500 grams citrus blossom honey
- 2 cups water
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 piece of whole cinnamon
- 180 grams white chocolate
- 200 grams toasted walnuts, pulsed in a food processor
- 120 grams raspberry and blueberry Jam
- 2 - 3 drops raspberry essence
- 150 grams coarsely ground walnuts
- 4 - 5 tbsp Citrus honey
- Start by preparing the syrup by adding sugar, honey, water, cinnamon stick and lemon peel in a pot. Mix and bring to a boil. It will soon bubble and form
froth. Reduce heat, skim and simmer mixing a couple of times, for 8 – 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Sieve the flour and mix with the mandarin zest, cloves and cinnamon.
- Beat the olive oil and sugar well for about 10 minutes on high speed. Mix the baking soda in the mandarin juice and add to the mixture (be careful as it will bubble). Add the Grand Marnier.
- Change to the K paddle or to the dough hook and add the flour mixture gradually until the dough does not stick to the hands. (If your mixer does not have the above paddles, use your hands).
- Melt the chocolate in a bain Marie.
- Preheat oven to 180o C / 350o F and toast the walnuts for about 15 minutes, until fragrant. Let them cool for a while and then pulse them in a food processor. Add them to the melted chocolate, together with the jam and essence and mix.
- Line a baking tin with parchment paper and taking some dough the size of a large walnut, shape melomakarona round and then slightly flatten it. (I weighed each ball to be around 35 - 37 grams).
- Add 1 tsp filling and fold around the filling to form a round or oblong cookie, making sure to enclose the mixture. Turn the melomakarono over and on the side without any seam, press the cookie on a box grater or an egg cutter horizontally and vertically, to form a pattern on top.
- Place them on the baking tin spaced apart and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, depending on your oven, or until they just start to get a light colour.
- When they are baked, dip them, while still hot, in the syrup for about 1 – 2 minutes. Turn them over and remove with a slotted ladle in a colander until they cool.
- Place them in a platter, drizzle some raw honey on top and add lots of walnuts on top.
Nutrition InformationYield 60 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 243Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 1mgSodium 28mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 1gSugar 26gProtein 3g
"These values are automatically calculated and offered for guidance only. Their accuracy is not guaranteed."
LIKE THIS POST?
You can hover over this image to pin it to your Pinterest board. Also, please feel free to share it with your friends and fellow bloggers, using the share tools.
PIN FOR LATER
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!
Sharing is caring!