Tyropita (pronounced Ti-ROH-pee-tah) is usually made made with layers of buttered phyllo and filled with feta. In this Tyropita I used Kataifi and five different kind of cheeses. You can add only feta if you prefer and other cheese that melt well when baking.
Kataifi is a pastry made with a special form of shredded phyllo dough which looks like angel hair pasta but it is soft and can be handled and it does not crumble. Kataifi is usually used for making sweets which are filled with nuts and cinnamon and then bathed in a syrup. There are however a few savory recipes using kataifi and tyropita is one of them.
This tyropita is rich in calories, so some times I try to keep them as low as possible by using low fat milk and some low fat cheese.
Tyropita with Kataifi, Feta and Four Cheeses
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Resting time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 30 – 40 minutes
- 450 grams kataifi dough
- 350 grams feta cheese (or mixed with a variety of other cheeses such as graviera, kasseri, halloumi or anthotyro (similar to ricotta) etc. You can substitute with any low fat cheese.
- 4 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 50 grams melted butter
- A pinch of black or white pepper
- Salt, optional as feta is salty
- Crumble feta and mix with other grated cheese of your preference. Nothing else is added in the cheeses.
- Fluff kataifi with your fingers by pulling the strands until they separate and it becomes light and fluffy.
- Lay it on your working surface or in your hand and put one heaped tablespoonful of cheese on one end, then roll the kataifi pastry into a cylinder, folding the sides as well, to enclose the filling.
- Make sure you fold the pastry a little tight at first so that the filling is securely enclosed. When you make it the size you like just pull and cut the strands.
- Put it in a 20 x 26 cm buttered baking dish or Pyrex.
- Whisk the eggs, add milk and pepper (and salt, depending on the cheese you use). Melt the butter and add it to the milk mixture.
- Pour the milk mixture on the kataifi with a spoon making sure that all the pieces are wet.
- Leave it for at least half an hour to absorb the milk.
- Preheat oven to 180oC / 350oF (170οC / 338oF fan) and bake for about 30 – 40 minutes or until golden on top.
- When it is baked it is served hot cutting pieces with a spoon.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!