Whether you have leftovers from your Christmas roasted turkey or extra leftover roasted chicken to use, this delicious turkey carbonara (or chicken) and pasta pie is a lovely way to use your leftovers without having to eat the same food for three days.
You don’t necessarily need leftover pasta to make it but instead you can boil some pasta or make some bechamel and add some bacon and cheese in the filling.
At the end you will find more suggestions how to use your leftover turkey.
On Christmas eve it’s a very busy day with all the preparations I had to make, so for lunch I wanted to cook something that would not take a lot of time.
Of course, pasta is always a good solution when you don’t have much time, so I made carbonara.
I was expecting my son to come home for lunch but as he was working, he only managed to make it for dinner.
I had made other preparations for Christmas Eve dinner, so as I don’t throw anything away, I stored the carbonara in the fridge.
The day after Christmas, I was feeling tired and a little bit lazy to make phyllo from scratch so I used some store bought phyllo.
When I began making the preparation for the filling I remembered the leftover carbonara so instead of making a bechamel, which was my original plan, in which I would mix the turkey, I remembered the leftover carbonara.
It would be perfect as it already had bacon, cheese and cream in it, so with a few more ingredients I made the pie.
We still had some leftover turkey breast and mushroom plum sauce, turkey stuffing and tambouli (tabbouleh).
I had a few leftover phyllo sheets, so I also made some tyropitakia (cheese triangles).
Turkey Carbonara Pie with Leftovers
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 8 sheets of Greek phyllo
- ½ cup olive oil to brush the phyllos
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove roasted garlic, mashed
- 4 cups leftover turkey, finely chopped
- 2 cups leftover carbonara pasta
- 100 grams grated graviera (or halloumi)
- 2 tbsp Greek spice mixture
- A handful of other melting cheese (Greek kasseri or mozarella, gouda, edam etc.)
- Heat the olive oil in a non stick frying pan until translucent. Add the garlic and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the turkey pieces, leftover pasta, spice mixture and grated graviera
- Mix to combine and set aside until it cools.
- For the base we use five phyllo sheets. We brush each one with olive oil and place them in a greased baking tin, alternating each phyllo horizontally and vertically so as to cover all the sides.
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Add the mixture and spread it to go everywhere. Brush another phyllo with olive oil.
- Fold it in the middle and add it on top. Bring some of the phyllos hanging out of the baking tin on top on the filling and if needed brush it with olive oil. Fold another phyllo sheet and put it on top.
- Fold the remaining phyllos towards the centre, brushing in them with olive oil.
- Fold the third sheet and place on top.
- Brush the top with olive oil and lightly score them.
- Wet you hands and sprinkle the water on top.
- Bake for about half an hour or until the phyllos are golden on top.
You can find many Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.
Other related Recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,