This Turkey Pie Roulade is made with homemade phyllo dough and stuffed with leftover turkey.
If you do not have leftover turkey meat from your roasted turkey, you can use minced turkey instead.
I made this recipe last year but did not have time to post it.
I have a lot of recipes I have not managed to publish and I hope that this week I may be able to post a few, so that you can get prepared for New Year’s celebrations.
I shall try and keep it short, without too much introductory part but only the recipe.
Turkey Pie Roulade, Recipe by Ivy
Preparation time: 1 hour
Baking time: about 1 hour
Makes: 2 roulades
For the dough: (See how to make phyllo dough here).
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour (or just use 3 cups all purpose flour)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup of water (about)
For the filling:
- 1 kilo (2.20 lbs) leftover turkey, finely chopped (or minced turkey)
- 5 spring onions, only the white part and part of the green
- 8 slices of lean bacon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1/2 cup of pistachios
- 1/4 cup sultana raisins
- 1 cup of bell peppers various colours
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 – 3 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs (or rice)
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns, divided
- 1 egg, divided
1. In a non-stick frying pan sauté the bacon and discard the fat.
2. In a separate sautéing pan heat the olive oil and sauté the turkey for a few minutes or the minced turkey, until it becomes white. Add the onion and sauté and then add the wine. Mix for a few minutes, add the peppers, herbs and spices and cook for about fifteen minutes.
3. If there is still liquid in pan, add the breadcrumbs or alternatively you can add 2 – 3 tbsp short grained rice, the pistachios raisins, and half of the pink peppercorns and mix. Set aside until it cools. Whisk the egg and mix half of the egg in the minced meat.
4. Divide the dough in two parts and roll out giving it a rectangular form about 25 x 35 cm and 1/2 cm thick. Cut it with a knife, if necessary to give it the shape you want and reserve the pieces of dough, for the decoration. Place half of the bacon and the meat on top. Fold both sides and then fold trying to make a roulade. Prepare the other roulade the same way.
5. Line a baking tin with parchment paper and place the roulades, seem facing down. Brush with the remaining egg.
6. If you have leftover dough, roll it out and make Christmas designs with a cookie cutter. Place on the dough and brush again with the egg and decorate with a pink peppercorn.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C (350 F) for about 1 hour or until golden brown.
Set aside on a wire rack to cook before cutting into slices.
Other relevant recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!!