These Chicken Souvlakia are so tender and juicy due to the marinade which features the fresh-tasting combination of lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil combined with Greek yoghurt that are so prevalent in Greek cuisine.
Note: Singular = souvlaki – Plural = souvlakia (pr. souh-VLAH-kee / souh-VHAH-kheea
If you want to learn more about the history, origin etc., you will find more in my post for souvlaki (pork or lamb) kebabs.
Living in Athens in an apartment with a small balcony, is not easy to barbecue because we do not have the space to do this often.
We do have a small barbecue but we avoid using it as whenever we do, the smoke gets into the apartment.
HOW I MAKE CHICKEN SOUVLAKIA
Some times I use the oven grill but i prefer using my sautéing pan as they come out very tender and tasty.
I have made them many times and the basic ingredients I always use is salt, pepper and oregano. Some times I marinate the meat with salt, pepper, oregano, olive oil and lemon juice.
Other times I marinate them in a yoghurt-mustard sauce and other times depending on what ingredients I have at home I add bell peppers, onion and mushrooms and make shish kebabs.
Serve them with some Homemade Pita bread.
Chicken Salad with Leftover Chicken
I am sure there will be no leftovers, but I always make more, so that I can also make this delicious summer pasta dish using some other leftover ingredients.
Of course, you can use any leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken to make this salad, which makes a very light and filling meal.
- 2 skewers of leftover grilled chicken souvlaki
- 250 grams pasta shells
- 2 small cucumbers, with the skin on, cut into rounds
- 1 big tomato, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 cups lettuce, cut by hand
- 2 carrots, peeled and shaved with a potato peeler
- ½ cup Greek Yoghurt 2% (or ¼ cup yoghurt and ¼ cup low fat mayonnaise)
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp mild mustard
- Freshly grated black pepper
- Boil pasta according to package instructions, about 15 minutes Add cold water until they cool and drain.
- Put it in a bowl with all the salad ingredients.
- Cut the chicken souvlaki into smaller pieces and add it to the salad.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a food processor add the garlic, yoghurt, mayonnaise and mustard and make the dressing.
- Mix all the dressing in the salad.
- Refrigerate for half an hour and then serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 504Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 65mgSodium 804mgCarbohydrates 75gFiber 8gSugar 12gProtein 38g
You can find many more Greek recipes in my cookbook “More Than A Greek Salad”, and “Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!” both available on all Amazon stores.
- Chicken breasts (skin removed) about 400 grams
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt (2%)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of Greek oregano
- A pinch of thyme
- A pinch of sweek boukovo (Greek chili flakes)
- Grated garlic
- Wash and cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes.
- Mix in all the marinade ingredients and marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Thread the meat on skewers.
- Brush a cast iron grilling or sautéing pan with 1 tbsp olive and grill the meat, turning evenly to cook on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with pita bread, tzatziki and Greek salad or more grilled vegetables.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 348Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 126mgSodium 318mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 33g
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,