These Chicken Souvlakia are so tender and juicy due to the marinade which features the fresh-tasting combination of lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil combined with Greek yoghurt that are so prevalent in Greek cuisine.
Living in Athens in an apartment is not easy to barbecue because we do not have the space to do this often. I do have a small barbecue but we avoid using it as whenever we do, the smoke gets into the appartment, so I avoid using it. Some times I use the oven grill but i prefer using my sauteing pan as they come out very tender and tasty.
I have made them many times and the basic ingredients I always use is salt, pepper and oregano. Some times I marinate the meat with salt, pepper, oregano, olive oil and lemon juice.
Other times I marinate them in a yoghurt-mustard sauce and other times depending on what ingredients I have at home I add bell peppers, onion and mushrooms and make shish kebabs.
I am sure there will be no leftovers, but I always make more, so that I can also make this delicious summer pasta dish using some other leftover ingredients from the marinade.
Marinated Chicken souvlakia – Recipe by Ivy
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Chicken breasts (skin removed) about 400 grams
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt (2%)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of Greek oregano
- A pinch of thyme
- A pinch of sweek boukovo (chili flakes)
- Grated garlic (0ptional)
- Wash and cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes.
- Mix in all the marinade ingredients and marinate for 1 hour.
- Thread the meat on skewers.
- Brush a cast iron grilling or sauteing pan with 1 tbsp olive olive and grill the meat, turning evenly to cook on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with pita bread, tzatziki and Greek salad or more grilled vegetables.
Whenever I have some leftover chicken, not necessarily souvlakia, I like making this refreshing, cold pasta salad, which is a very light and filling meal.
Makaronosalata me Kotopoulo (Summer Pasta Salad with Chicken) – Recipe by Ivy
Preparation: 20 Minutes
- ½ grilled chicken breast
- 250 grams pasta shells
- 2 small cucumbers, with the skin on, cut into rounds
- 1 big tomato, cut in bite-size pieces
- ½ lettuce (about 2 cups), cut by hand
- 2 carrots, peeled and shaved with potato peeler
- ½ cup Greek Yoghurt 2% (or ¼ cup yoghurt and ¼ cup low fat mayonnaise)
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp mild mustard
- Freshly grated black pepper
- Boil pasta according to package instructions, about 15 minutes, add cold water until they cool and drain.
- Cut the chicken in bite-size pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a food processor add the garlic, yoghurt, mayonnaise and mustard and make the dressing.
- Mix all the dressing in the salad.
- Serve cold.
You can find many more Greek recipes in my cookbook “More Than A Greek Salad”, and “Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!” both available on all Amazon stores.
Other relevant recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,