This Greek Pasta Salad with Tuna and Bell Peppers is a delicious and healthy dish that is perfect for any meal, whether it’s lunch or dinner.
It is easy to make and can be prepared in just 15 minutes with only a few simple ingredients.
This pasta salad is packed with protein, vegetables, and a delicious homemade dressing that is both tangy and savory.
What kind of pasta can i use to make a pasta salad?
When making a pasta salad, it’s best to choose a pasta shape that holds the dressing and other ingredients well. Here are some pasta shapes commonly used for pasta salad:
- Fusilli: Spiral-shaped pasta with ridges that can hold the dressing and other ingredients.
- Rotini: Corkscrew-shaped pasta that holds onto the dressing and complements other ingredients.
- Penne: Short, tube-shaped pasta with angled ends that provide a good texture and hold the dressing.
- Farfalle: Bowtie-shaped pasta that adds visual appeal and holds the dressing and other ingredients nicely.
- Orzo: Small rice-shaped pasta that works well in cold pasta salads and blends easily with other ingredients.
- Macaroni: Short, curved pasta tubes that are commonly used in classic macaroni salad.
- Plexoudes or Striftaria (similar to Casarecce or Gemelli): These homemade type of pasta are characterized by their short, twisted, and slightly curved shape, resembling a rolled-up tube or scroll.
These are just a few examples, but you can choose any pasta shape you like based on your personal preference.
Ultimately, the key is to select a pasta shape that complements the other ingredients in your salad and holds up well when mixed with the dressing.
How to make this Greek Pasta Salad
To make this pasta salad, you will need ditali or any other of the above-mentioned pasta, tuna, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, parsley, Kalamata olives, capers, and a few pantry staples for the dressing.
Begin by cooking the pasta according to the package instructions.
Once done, rinse it with cold water and set it aside.
Simultaneously, while the pasta is cooking, prepare the vegetables.
Cut the bell peppers into thin slices and slice the cherry tomatoes into rounds.
Pit the olives and chop the parsley.
Drain the water from the tuna and set aside.
To make the dressing, whisk together the light mayonnaise, extra virgin olive oil, mild mustard, sea salt, black pepper, and dried oregano until well combined.
Add the cooked pasta, tuna, vegetables, olives, capers, and chopped parsley to a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the ingredients and toss until everything is well coated.
Refrigerate the salad until ready to serve.
This pasta salad can be enjoyed on its own as a light meal or paired with your favorite protein for a heartier dish. It also makes a great side dish for barbecues or potlucks.
Note: If you want the pasta salad vegetarian, you can substitute the tuna with 100 grams crumbled feta.
Overall, Greek Pasta Salad with Tuna and Bell Peppers is a delicious and healthy dish that is perfect for any occasion.
It is easy to make and can be prepared in just 15 minutes, making it a great option for busy weeknights.
Give this recipe a try and enjoy a tasty and nutritious meal that your whole family will love!
- 250 grams ditali pasta
- 2 tuna in water x 68 grams each
- 3 slices of bell peppers (3 colours)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 8 Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp mild mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Freshly grated black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions. Boil some water in a 2 litre pot, add salt then the pasta and cook for 12 minutes. When done rinse with cold water, drain and set aside.
- Drain the water from the tuna.
- Cut 1/4th of each bell pepper and then cut each piece into thin slices.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into rounds.
- Pit the olives and cut them into smaller pieces. Drain the capers.
- Finely chop the parsley.
- Put the pasta in a large bowl and then add the drained tuna and the vegetables.
- Prepare the salad dressing: Put the mayonnaise in a bowl, add the olive oil, mustard, salt, pepper and oregano and mix with a spoon to combine.
- Add the salad dressing to the other ingredients and toss well until well coated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
If you want the pasta salad vegetarian, you can substitute the tuna with 100 grams crumbled feta.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 309Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 20mgSodium 1168mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 18g
"These values are automatically calculated and offered for guidance only. Their accuracy is not guaranteed."
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!