An air fryer is a countertop appliance which actually mimics deep frying, without oil or very little oil.
I bought an Air Fryer several months ago and have been experimenting with some new and old recipes. Old recipes will be updated in the respective post whereas new ones will be posted separately and linked to this post.
My fryer is an AEG AF6-1-6ST model.
I did not find my fryer listed on Amazon but this one is very similar.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a counter top appliance which actually mimics deep frying, without oil or very little oil.
In fact it is a small convection oven where you can do almost anything a convection oven can do.
Oil-free fryers are one of the trends of the year and more and more households are betting on them.
The truth is they are a much healthier alternative to conventional fryer, allowing you to cook much healthier.
Benefits of having this appliance
- Healthier Cooking. The single most important factor for most people buying an air fryer is the prospect of healthier cooking. If you have been avoiding deep frying food, as I have, you will love the fryer which does the same thing with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Crisp & Crunchy Food.
- It’s Very Versatile, it is Fast, Safe and Easy to Use. You can fry, deep fry, grill, bake etc. in no time.
- Faster Than Oven Cooking. This mean economy on the electricity bill. There are some air fryers that need preheating, which means more time but the one I have does not need preheating.
- Easy to Clean. Remember frying in a frying pan? Well no more spilling on the walls and on the stove top. You only have one appliance to clean.
How to clean the air fryer
Well, I only have experience with my air fryer. After the food is removed, just put some water, enough to cover the basket and let it heat for 1 minute. Then with a soft sponge and soap, wash and rinse.
How to operate the AEG Air fryer
Please bear in mind that there are many brands of air fryers so each one may operate differently.
Mine is an AEG AF6-1-6ST model with 1.800 W and 8 installed programs.
- This means that by pressing a button the temperature and time are automatically set. This will allow you to quickly cook different foods such as: cakes, chicken, fish, other meats, French fries or pizzas.
- However, you can always manually configure your fryer AEG using the temperature and time commands. In this model we like that they are separated, being easier and more intuitive to select them.
- This specific air fryer does not need any preheating, whereas there are other that do.
- Once your recipes have been finalized, You can separate the basket from the container for easy cleaning. As it is a rack, the fat will have accumulated in the container, separating it from your ingredient.
These are some of my recipes which I have cooked in the air fryer.
- Greek Fried Potatoes
- Marinated Chicken Breast
- Soutzoukakia Smyrneika
- Mpiftekia (Beef Burgers)
- Grilld Halloumi
- Pork Chops
- Pizza using a Greek Pita Bread
- Fried Sweet Potatoes
- Baked Chestnuts
- Roasted Almonds
- Smashed Potatoes
- Frozen Schnitzel
- Baked Apples
- Meatballs adjusted for Gallbladder
- Cottage Pie
- Banana Bread
- Marinated Pork Tenderloin
1. Greek Fried Potatoes
Super crispy Greek fried potatoes are tender and fluffy on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
There is an installed program for French fries, which you can make with just 1 tablespoon olive oil, in just 20 minutes!
However, you can convert your recipes
See how to convert your recipes.
3. Marinated Chicken Breast
These Marinated Chicken Breast are so simple to make and so delicious! The Chicken breasts are marinated and then cooked in the air fryer. They are crispy on the outside and so tender and juicy inside!
4. Soutzoukakia Smyrneika
Soutzoukakia Smyrneika, are spicy sausage-shaped meatballs, which are lightly fried and then cooked in a delicious tomato sauce and come from the once Greek part of Asia Minor, Smyrna.
You cannot imagine how much fat I found below the basket but still they remained equally delicious as the fried ones!
5. Meatballs (Keftedes)
Greek Meatballs also known as Keftedes, are full of flavor and super delicious. I have two recipes in the same post for Greek and Cypriot meatballs, with different flavours. They are super easy to make but without all the calories!
6. Mpiftekia (Greek Veal Burgers)
They are grilled or baked in the oven along with potatoes.
Cooking in the Air Fryer takes 20 minutes at 180oC / 350oF..
7. Grilled Halloumi
To air fry the halloumi, no oil is needed. I set it at 180oC for ten minutes. There was no need to turn them over.
8. Pork chops
The Pork chop was seasoned with just salt, pepper and oregano and baked on the program for pork chops, which is at 200oC for 10 minutes.
9. Pizza with store bought Souvlaki Pita Bread
10. Sweet Potato Fries
Same as Greek-style fried potatoes.
11. Roasted Chestnuts
Follow the same instructions as roasting them in the oven. The difference here is that no preheating is required and the time of roasting is much quicker. Therefore, saving on electricity.
12. Roasted Blanched Almonds
Roasting blanched almonds takes only 7 minutes setting the air fryer at 150oC.
Cut your leftover bread into cubes. Roast the croutons in the air fryer at 180oC for 5 minutes.
14. Smashed Potatoes
See the whole procedure to prepare these Smashed Potatoes in the relevant post.
Put them in the basket of air fryer and cook them using the program for the French Fries (180oC for 15 minutes). Give them an extra 5 minutes if you want them more crunchy.
15. Schnitzel (Store Bought – frozen)
I used frozen schnitzel. Set your Air fryer to 180οC, and cook for 10 minutes (without thawing).
16. Baked Apples
Baked apples are an easy, comforting dessert. You can make them with sugar and Cinnamon or just bake them without sugar, to use in sugar-free recipes. I baked them to make a cake for my toddler granddaughter. Apples in the air fryer are cooked for 10 minutes at 180oC, until fork tender. Some apples may need five more minutes to become soft and mashable.
17. Meatballs adjusted for Gallbladder Diet
These airfryer meatballs have been adjusted for those on a gallbladder diet. I have used ground veal but you can add ground chicken or turkey, if you prefer.
Set your Air fryer to 180οC, and cook for 15 minutes.
18, Cottage Pie
Set the Air Fryer at 180oC and bake for 15 minutes.
19. Banana Bread
During the heatwave I avoid using the oven, so I baked a small banana bread in the air fryer. The temperature was set at 155oC and baked for 30 minutes.
20. Gemista (the recipe was adapted for Gallbladder Diet
Enjoy your gallbladder-friendly Gemista stuffed tomatoes, baked to perfection in the air fryer! Remember to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian to ensure that this recipe aligns with your specific dietary needs.
The potatoes were baked separately, as per instructions above and removed from the air fryer. Then the tomatoes were added and baked at 180oC for 35 minutes. When done, the potatoes were added back in the air fryer and reheated for 2 more minutes.
Marinated Pork Tenderloin
An easy marinated Pork Tenderloin with fried potatoes in the air fryer, for a delicious dish made in no time!
Bouyourdi (a Greek appetizer with three ingredients)
Bouyourdi is an easy recipe made with three ingredients: roasted red peppers, feta and halloumi.
- Air Fryer
- Other ingredients depending on the recipe
- Air fryer
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Put them in the basket or in the air fryer without the basket, depending on the recipe.
- Choose one of the installed program.
- Check for doneness and increase time by a few minutes, if necessary.
The instructions in each recipe I post are based on the AEG AF6-1-6ST model. Each air fryer is different, so you will have to adjust the time according to the model you have.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!