This Healthy Minced Chicken sauce is a delicious and versatile sauce that can be used in a variety of dishes, such as pasta, rice, or as a base for making cottage pie.
This simple chicken sauce can be used in a variety of dishes. I used this recipe to make two dishes, adapted for gallbladder diet: 1/3 of the chicken sauce was used on top of spaghetti (Makaronia me Kima) and with the leftover, the next day I made Cottage pie in the air fryer, which was enough for two servings.
Is minced chicken sauce healthy?
Minced chicken sauce can be a healthy option as it is a good source of protein and lower in fat than other meats such as beef and pork.
Chicken is also a good source of essential nutrients such as iron, zinc, and B vitamins.
However, the healthiness of this chicken sauce depends on how it is prepared and cooked. If it is cooked with added fats, such as butter or oil, or if it is seasoned with high amounts of salt or sugar, then it may not be as healthy.
What can we make with this minced chicken sauce?
Here are a few ideas, but the possibilities are endless. Get creative and experiment with different ways to use this chicken sauce in your cooking!
- Pasta dishes: The chicken sauce can be used as a sauce for pasta dishes such as spaghetti or linguine.
- Wraps and sandwiches: Use the chicken sauce as a filling for wraps or sandwiches.
- Rice dishes: Add the minced chicken sauce to rice dishes.
- Tacos and burritos: Use the minced chicken sauce as a filling for tacos or burritos.
- Baked potatoes: Top a baked potato with the minced chicken sauce, low fat cheese, and low fat sour cream.
- Stir-fry: Make a stir-fry by combining the minced chicken sauce with vegetables and serving it over rice.
- Kebabs, pastitsio, moussakas etc. (Of course adjusted for gallbladder diet).
- Cottage pie: Use the minced chicken sauce as the base for a cottage pie, topped with low fat mashed potatoes.
How to make your own chicken mince
If you do not have a butcher who can make the chicken mince for you or have a meat grinder, here is how easy it is to make your own in a food processor:
You will need boneless chicken breast or chicken thighs or both.
- Cut the boneless chicken breast or thighs into small pieces.
- Depending on what kind of food processor we have, don’t overload it, so that it can process the meat.
- Add the chicken pieces in the food processor or blender and pulse until the chicken is finely chopped. Be careful not to over-process the chicken, or it will become mushy.
- Use the chicken mince immediately or cover and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for a long time.
Here’s How I made the Meat Sauce:
- Minced chicken breast
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A very small onion
- White dry wine
- Celery stalk
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sweet paprika (optional)
Additional Ingredients needed to make the cottage pie:
This cottage pie was made the next day in the air fryer!
Some boiled vegetables such as peas, corn, green beans, carrot, potato
Mashed potatoes with less butter and skimmed milk.
See the instructions in the recipe card.
- 250 grams minced chicken
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 very small onion, grated
- 1/4 cup white dry wine
- 250 grams passata
- 1 small grated carrot
- ¼ cup celery stalk, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of Greek oregano
- A pinch of sweet paprika (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
Ingredients needed to make the cottage pie:
- 1/2 cup mixture of vegetables such as peas, corn, green beans, carrot, potato
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1/2 tsp butter
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup skimmed milk
- 1 tsp dried bread crumbs (optional)
- Ask your butcher to make some chicken mince for you or see instructions in the post how to make your own,
- In a food processor put the onion, carrot celery and olive oil and mince.
- Put them in a small saucepan and sauté them for a few minutes.
- Add the ground chicken meat and sauté for a few minutes until it browns.
- Add the wine and mix until the alcohol evaporates.
- Add the passata, salt, pepper, oregano and paprika.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and put the lid on and simmer checking it and stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens, for about 30 minutes.
- Serve over pasta.
- Store leftover in the fridge and next day make cottage pie:
- Boil the vegetables in a small pot with salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and mix in the chicken sauce.
- To make the mashed potatoes,
- Cut the potatoes into smaller pieces and boil until soft, for about 30 minutes.
- Mash them with a potato masher. Add the butter and mix until the butter melts. Add the milk and salt and mix.
- Put the meat sauce in a small baking dish. I used an aluminium rectangular single-use container 16.2 x 9.3 x 5.8 cm.
- Add the mashed potatoes on top and sprinkle the dried bread crumbs.
- Put the baking dish in the air fryer.
- Set the air fryer to 180oC and bake for 15 minutes. Alternatively you can bake it in a preheated oven to 180oC, for about 30 minutes or until it browns on top.
The nutritional information is only for the chicken meat sauce.
This yields 4 servings of meat sauce.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 193Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 59mgSodium 351mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 15g
"These values are automatically calculated and offered for guidance only. Their accuracy is not guaranteed."
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!