Sharing is caring!
Lavender-Lemon Shortbread Cookies are so aromatic and these two ingredients pair well with each other as well as with mint. They are buttery and rich in flavour and if you are a fan of lemony desserts, you will love them.
They are just perfect with a cup of Greek coffee or a hot cup of tea, if you prefer!
I used to think that eating lavender would be a bit too strange for my taste buds as in Greece the only use we had of lavender was to put it in our drawers to prevent moth from destroying our winter clothes, but how wrong was I! 🙂
Last year I dried my own lavender and when I tried them in cookies for the first time, the flavor was so unique and so lovely that since them I have been hoooked and make them over and over again!
- You must make sure that you use edible lavender which you either dry yourselves or buy in heath food stores.
- When out of the oven they are still soft but will firm up as they cool.
- If you want to cut the dough with cookie cutters, divide the dough into two balls, wrap them with cling film and flatten until it becomes a 3 cm thick block (about 1 inch) and refrigerate. You then roll the dough on a non-stick surface after covering them with cling film or between two sheets of parchment paper, until it reaches 1 cm thick and then cut them to the shape you like. Refrigerate them again before baking. Leftover pieces are used again following the same procedure.
- The preparation time mentioned in the recipe is that for making it into a roll and cutting it with a knife. More time is need when using cookie cutters. .
- They can be served as they are or fill them with Lemon Buttercream, Lemon Curd or just Marmalade or Jam.
Some times I leave them just with the two flavours of lemon and lavender or add some chocolate chips, white or dark or both or chocolate shavings or some raisins or dried mint.
- 250 grams unsalted butter at room temperature
- 250 grams confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp citrus or vanilla essence
- 1 ½ tbsp dried lavender
- 1 tbsp dried mint, crumbled
- 1/8 tsp coarse sea salt
- 375 grams all purpose flour
- 60 grams white or dark chocolate chips or both
- Put the butter and confectioners’ sugar in the mixer bowl and cream them for a few minutes. Add the egg and citrus essence and cream them until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the lavender, lemon zest, mint and salt with the flour and mix into the batter gradually until well blended.
- Finally fold in the chocolate chips.
- Make two rolls and wrap in cling film. Refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180oC. If using a fan forced oven the temperature should be reduced to 160o C.
- With a sharp knife cut 1 cm (0.40 inch) slices and place them on a baking tin lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate again for fifteen minutes.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until slightly browned around the edges.
- Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Nutrition InformationYield 60 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 76Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 12mgSodium 7mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 0gSugar 5gProtein 1g
Like this post?
You can hover over this image to pin it to your Pinterest board. Also, please feel free to share it with your friends and fellow bloggers, using the share tools below.
Other relevant recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!
Sharing is caring!