This Greek chickpea salad is healthy and a filling dish on its own. It is packed with protein from the chickpeas and quinoa and full of vitamins from the herbs, vegetables and salad dressing.
You can prepare the chickpeas and quinoa ahead and add your extra protein depending on what you like. I have added tuna but you can replace it with ham, smoked turkey, grilled chicken, feta or even hard boiled eggs. If you leave out these extras, it’s a wonderful side dish to fish or other grilled meat.
If you want your salad vegan just leave out these extras and add your favourite vegetables., it’s a wonderful side dish to fish or other grilled meat.
Τhe vegan option still has a lot of protein from the chickpeas and quinoa and is also a very healthy meal.
The salad is full of aroma from the lemon zest and mint, which match perfectly with the other ingredients and makes a very refreshing meal during summer.
It stores well in the refrigerator up to 2 – 3 days and it packs well for lunch boxes or picknicks.
At the supermarkets, you can find chickpeas with skin on and chickpeas without the skin. In case you cannot find any with the skin removed, after soaking them overnight, change the water and rub them with your hands. The skins will float away when discarding the water. Continue this procedure until you have removed most of them.
I have never used canned chickpeas but if you like you can use them and it will reduce the cooking time considerably.
Greek Chickpea Salad with Quinoa and Tahini
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: about 1 hour
- 250 grams uncooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water or broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Small tuna (in water)
- A handful of arugula (rocket)
- 1 Carrot (Shavings)
- 1 Red Onion, sliced
- 1 Cucumber, cubed
- ¼ cup Parsley, chopped
- 1 Sprig fresh mint, only the leaves, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, cubed
- Zest from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 3/4 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Freshly grated black pepper
- A pinch of oregano
- Soak the chickpeas overnight.
- Next day change the water in the bowl and rub them with your hands to remove the skin. Drain, add fresh water and boil. Remove foam with a slotted ladle and when no more is visible, drain and add fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, add salt and cook for about 1 hour or until they are soft. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place quinoa in a large bowl and cover with water. Let it stand for five minutes and rinse well.
- In a salted pot of boiling water or broth, cook quinoa for 20 minutes, remove from the heat and leave it in the pan until it cools.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl.
- In a bowl add the tahini and mix with hot water to make a paste.
- Add the olive oil, zest and lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Add salt, pepper and oregano and mix the salad dressing.
- Pour it over the salad and mix well.
- Refrigerate for half an hour for the flavours to develop and serve.
Other relevant recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!