I made this savoury cheesecake during the Christmas holidays. I was inspired by Greek Dakos which is a Cretan appetizer made on a barley rusk called dakos, with feta or myzithra and tomato on top.
As a base I used a dakos rusk called kritharokoulouro, ordinary rusks and PICK salty biscuits which are similar to Tuc savoury biscuits.
I prepared the base the same way we make cheesecakes, only I added some olive oil as well.
For the filling I used two Greek cheeses: feta and anthotyros (myzithra) as well as some cream cheese with herbs.
As a topping I used marinated and baked cherry tomatoes, some roasted red sweet peppers (Piperies Florinis) and gherkins.
Instead of gherkins you can add Kalamata or green olives or capers. However, I preferred this colour combination as it was for the Christmas table.
I did not over bake the cherry tomatoes because I merely wanted to remove the skin, as my husband has a problem digesting it.
Also when cutting a slice it would be easier to cut the tomato when soft, as by pressing it with the knife on top of soft cream cheese, I think it would sink and spoil the piece.
- 200 grams cream cheese with garlic and herbs
- 450 grams anthotyros
- 250 grams feta
- 1 egg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp dill, finely chopped
For Marinating Cherry tomatoes:
- 300 grams cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper
- A pinch of oregano
- 2 - 3 Piperies Florinis
- 6 Gherkins
- Salt, pepper a pinch of oregano
- Preheat the oven to 180o C / 350o F.
- In a small baking tin half cherry tomatoes and marinate with all the ingredients. Arrange cut side facing down and cover with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Powder both rusks and biscuits as well as almonds, separately in a food processor. Put them in a spring form pan and add butter and olive oil and rub them with your fingers. Wet your hands with water and press the rusks on the base and sides of the baking tin.
- Put the tin with tomatoes in the oven, covered with aluminum foil and on top place the tin with the crust.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and continue baking the tomatoes for 15 more minutes.
- Meantime in the bowl of your mixer add the three cheeses and egg and whisk until creamy. Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- When the crust has cooled add the cheeses and spread.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- When the tomatoes can be handled, remove the skin.
- Decorate with baked cherry tomatoes, piperies Florinis and thin slices of gherkins and season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.