Τhis vegan Ryzogalo (Greek rice pudding) is creamy, aromatic and so delicious that it competes with the original classic “ryzogalo”, which is amazing!
We all love the rich “ryzogalo” our mum used to make but there are many people who are lactose or gluten intolerant and of course there are many people who follow a vegan diet, or during Lent when we fast, so this one is suitable for all the above.
I made this Ryzogalo when some friends visited us during Lent. My friend is sensitive to gluten, so I used rice flour to thicken it.
You may think that corn flour (starch) is gluten free but, if you are aiming to avoid wheat, then check on the package that it is labelled “gluten-free” as many brands add wheat flour as well.
I flavoured it with citrus blossom water and served it with ground cinnamon on top.
Vegan, Lactose Free and Gluten Free Ryzogalo (rice pudding)
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: about 25 minutes
- ½ cup carolina rice or any other starchy rice, suitable for rice pudding
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut cream / milk
- ½ can water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp citrus blossom water
- 1 tbsp citrus blossom water to wet the bowls
- Cinnamon to sprinkle on top
- Put the rice with water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until all water is absorbed.
- Add the coconut milk, sugar and half can of water and bring to a boil again.
- Meantime, dissolve the rice flour in ¼ cup water and mix in the 2 tbsp blossom water.
- Add to the rice and mix until it thickens.
- Distribute the citrus water to wet 5 bowls by pouring it from one to the other.
- When the rice pudding has set distribute it into the bowls.
- Serve lukewarm or cold, with cinnamon on top.
You can find my Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.
Other related Recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,