This is an old recipe I made a couple of years ago but I prepared it a little bit different this time. First of all I have sliced the chicken in a different way and then I tied it with kitchen string. I bought filleted chicken breasts so they were without the skin and bones and as I did not have any chicken stock at home, I prepared the sauce with wine and a vegetable bouillon.
I also cooked it quite differently from the previous time and the chicken was very juicy inside. The only thing I regret is that I did not have any mushrooms to make the sauce with but still it was very flavourful.
Braised Chicken breasts stuffed with spinach, graviera and bacon
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 7 slices cooked bacon
- 200 grams of spinach
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 chicken breasts, each cut in the middle without separating
- Seasoning: a pinch of salt, pepper, tarragon
- 7 slices graviera
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ vegetable bouillon
- 1 cups water
- ½ cup white dry wine
- 3 – 4 tablespoons flour
- Salt and white pepper
- Cut each chicken breast in the middle, so that it opens flat. Season with salt, pepper, and tarragon and set aside.
- Wash the spinach and place it in a pot without any water. Bring to a boil until it wilts and remove from heat and drain excess water.
- In a non stick frying pan brown the bacon on both sides. Discard the fat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté the garlic and onion until translucent and then add the spinach and mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Add a slice of bacon and cheese and a spoonful of spinach on each chicken breast, fold and secure with a toothpick. Then with a kitchen string tie the chicken breast and remove the toothpick.
- Heat 1 cup of water and dissolve the vegetable bouillon and set aside.
- In a non stick frying pan heat the remaining oil and sauté the chicken breasts on all sides. Place them in a pyrex. Add the wine and the vegetable bouillon and bake in a preheated oven at 180o C for ten minutes. Turn on the other side and bake for another ten minutes.
- Remove chicken to a platter and remove the string.
- In the frying pan heat the oil again, add the flour and make a roux until it begins to brown. Add as much pan juice needed to make the sauce. Taste and season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of white pepper and mix until the sauce is ready.
Serve with a rice pilaf.