This Vegan Chocolate Cake is so easy to make that you only need a bowl and a whisk. I’ ve made this cake many times and today I made it for the Greek orthodox fasting period. As I will be busy all day, I took the pictures while the glazing is still wet, as I doubt I will find time later for photos.
Before preparing flaounes, tsourekia and dying my red eggs, I made this cake and muffins as it is cold and I wanted to use the oven so that the kitchen is warm, for the dough to rise.
This is one of the easiest cakes to make as you just mix all the ingredients together. It does not contain any eggs or milk which makes it perfect for those fasting. In the muffins I added some Corinthian currants and black currants. I used black and white couverture chocolate for the glazing which are vegan.
I used my silicone cake bundt form which is not very big so the remaining I made the muffins. I prepared tsourekia yesterday which are filled with a chestnut puree and I glazed them with white and dark chocolate. I melted more chocolate and used the remaining to glaze the cake and muffins.
Vegan Chocolate-Orange Cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: about 1 hour
Makes: 12 cm diametre bundt cake and 12 muffins
- 2 1/2+ cups (430 grams) self raising flour
- 1 cup ground blanched almonds (165 grams)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup mild olive oil or corn oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- Corinthian currants and Black currants (about 3 tablespoons)
See recipe here. I did not add the cream but just mixed some margarine in the chocolate.
- Put all the fluids in a bowl and slightly beat with a whisk (no mixer needed).
- Combine all the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add dry ingredients and mix with a spoon.
- Grease a 28 cm baking pan with oil , dust with flour and empty batter or use the silicone bundt form (without greasing) and lined muffin tins.
- Bake cake for about an hour in a preheated oven t0 170C until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Bake the muffins for about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and cover with chocolate ganache.
Thursday 20th of October 2011
Thanks for sharing the recipe of Vegan Chocolate-Orange Cake...
Sunday 11th of April 2010
Wow, you are a great baker!
Tuesday 6th of April 2010
wow what a great easy recipe, and with my favorite combination of orange and chocolate :) will be giving this a go soon. :)
Saturday 3rd of April 2010
hello Ivy very nice recipe idid no know these vegan cakes !! grosses bises de Paris Pierre
Saturday 3rd of April 2010
That's it! I am making these next!