No need for an ice cream maker to churn up homemade ice cream . Just learn how to make pastry cream and whipped cream to enjoy delicious hand made ice cream.
Sandwiched ice cream is the kind we used to eat when we were kids. We used to grab a piece and rush out to play with our friends.
I’ve been reading a lot of ice-cream recipes lately, thanks to Mike and shall be reading a lot during the round up. All of them were made in an ice cream machine, so I think it’s about time I got one.
The next time I’ll make an ice-cream, I’ll definitely add some caramelized pieces of fruit in it.
Hand Made Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich
Yields: 18 ice creams
36 morning coffee biscuits or petit beurre
See recipe and step by step instructions for Whipped Cream. You will need twice the amount.
- Begin with the whipped cream which set aside in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the pastry cream and when finished cover with cling film and place in a bigger pan with cold water until it cools down.
- Before a crust is formed on top, beat the cream with a hand mixer and cover again with the cling film.
- When it cools completely, mix in the whipped cream and beat them with the hand mixer.
- Put them in a container with a lid and put it in the deep freezer.
- Every hour beat it again with the mixer so that no crystals are formed. This procedure will have to be repeated every hour, for at least three times.
- When you finish with this procedure, put half of the biscuits, the side with the letters facing down, in a rectangular 32 x 22 cm container. Add the cream in the middle and then the remaining biscuits on top, this time the letters facing up.
- Cover with the lid and freeze overnight.
- Before serving, remove from the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Cut all the pieces, so that you don’t have to leave it for 10 minutes every time you want to eat a piece.
- If you leave the ice cream more than three days the biscuits will become moist and loose their crunchiness, so it is better to consume it within three or four days.
I am submitting this recipe to Mike, of Mike’s kitchen who is screaming at us to submit our recipes for his event: You Scream, I Scream, we all Scream for Frozen Desserts.
As I said, this recipe is good for three or four days. When I noticed that the biscuits were not crunchy any more and in any case there were just a few pieces left, I made some milkshake for the children, who were studying for their exams and needed simple sugars from fruit and the protein from the milk and eggs. This helps blood sugar stay at a stable level, and since our brain runs on sugar, you don’t want to have it dip too low or rise too high.
Milkshake with Ice Cream
- Two glasses of milk
- 2 – 3 different kind of fruit (I used 6 apricots and 1 apple)
- 1 teaspoon of honey for each glass
- 1 ice cream sandwich, after removing the biscuit
- A few crashed cardamom seeds (optional)
- A few of ice cubes.
Place everything in the blender and beat them well until everything becomes a rich, creamy drink.
Serve in glasses with a straw.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!