Tambouli salad, also written as tabouli or tabbouleh, is a refreshing parsley salad, which is made with bulgur wheat tomatoes, onion, cucumber, fresh mint and dressed with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
We call it tambouli in Cyprus and this salad has passed to Cypriot cuisine from the Lebanese.It’s easy to throw together. Great as a side dish for grilled meats.
This salad is a typical summer salad and very “refreshing” thanks to the mint. It is made with lots of parsley, tomatoes, onion, fresh mint, bulgar wheat, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
The bulgur wheat does not have to be soaked before preparing the salad.I f it stays in the refrigerator for an hour, it will absorb all the juices in the salad and the bulgur wheat will become soft.
It’s ideal for BBQ, grilled meats, or roasted meat but try it also in your toasted sandwiches. After toasting put some salad inside. It’s delicious!!
This salad can be preserved for at least 3 – 4 days in the refrigerator.
The recipe is included in my cookbook Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste as well as in Volume 1 of the e-cookbook.
- 2 - 3 tomatoes peeled and finely chopped into small cubes
- 1 small cucumber, finely chopped into small cubes
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 - 3 cups parsley finely chopped
- ½ cup mint, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 – 4 tbsp fine bulgur wheat
- Tender lettuce leaves, for decoration
- Finely chop all vegetables and add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Put the lettuce leaves in a bowl and add the salad to top.
- Serve with grilled or baked meat.
You do not have to soak the bulgur wheat in water before making the salad.
The tomatoes are very juicy and together with the other liquid ingredients their liquid is enough to soak the bulgur wheat.
You can keep the salad up to 3 - 4 days in the fridge.
Try it inside of toasted sandwiches, with souvlaki and sheftalia inside a Cypriot pita bread.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 352Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 4mgSodium 731mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 7gSugar 23gProtein 7g
"These values are automatically calculated and offered for guidance only. Their accuracy is not guaranteed."
LIKE THIS POST?
You can hover over this image to pin it to your Pinterest board. Also, please feel free to share it with your friends and fellow bloggers, using the share tools.
PIN FOR LATER
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,