French Buttercream, which is a rich and velvety cream, is made using the technique called Pâte à bombe.
Pâte à bombe is a French term for a base which is necessary in many recipes which call for raw eggs.
In order to pasteurize the eggs, a hot syrup is made which is added to the whisked yolks. The syrup must boil until it reaches the softball stage. If you have a candy thermometre, the ideal temperature should reach around 120o – 125o C.
Because of the yolks, the buttercream has a yellowish colour.
This buttercream can be used as a filling for cakes, to sandwich biscuits or macarons, as a frosting on top of cupcakes, etc.
This buttercream can be stored in the fridge in an air tight container for upto two weeks or in the freezer for a couple of months.
In order to use it, bring it back to room temperature. Never heat it in any way.
Don’t discard the egg whites. You can store them in he fridge for a few days or for months in the freezer. I had some leftover in the freezer which I thawed and used these ones the next day to make my husband’s birthday cake.
Apart from the French buttercream, this mixture is also used to make ice cream, mousse desserts, tiramissu, semi freddo, parfait and many more.
The first recipe I made with this buttercream was a birthday White Chocolate Mocha Mousse Cake for my husband. Recipe will be posted separately.
- 60 grams sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) water
- 4 egg yolks
- 250 grams butter, room temperature
- ¼ tsp citrus essence
- Put the sugar with water in a frying pan or a small pot and bring to a boil mixing now and then.
- When it starts bubbling turn the heat off. It is ready just before it starts caramelizing (softball stage).
- If you have a candy thermometre, the ideal temperature should reach around 120o – 125o C.
- Beat the egg yolks with a hand mixer until they become creamy.
- While whisking the yolks, add the syrup gradually. Set aside to cool.
- Add the butter gradually and whisk until incorporated. Finally add the flavour you prefer and mix.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate until ready to use.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 cups Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1122Total Fat 110gSaturated Fat 67gTrans Fat 4gUnsaturated Fat 36gCholesterol 638mgSodium 820mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 0gSugar 30gProtein 6g
Other relevant recipes:
LIKE THIS POST?
You can hover over this image to pin it to your Pinterest board. Also, please feel free to share it with your friends and fellow bloggers, using the share tools below.
PIN FOR LATER
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!