This Linguine with Calamari dish is delicious and full of Greek flavours.
Pasta is one of our family’s favourite dishes and and when I have lots of work to do I always resort to a pasta dish. I put this dish together using ingredients I had at home.
If you have cleaned the calamari in advance or if you use frozen calamari this dish does not take more than half an hour to prepare.
Linguine with Calamari
Serves: 5 – 6
Preparation time: 15 minutes or 30 minutes (to clean calamari)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 packet linguine (500 grams)
- 500 grams of baby calamari, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 – 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ cup red dry wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 kilo fresh ripe tomatoes, peeled and blended or 1 can (500 grams) whole tomatoes, blended
- 10 Kalamata olives, pitted and cut into pieces
- A few pieces (about 1/2 cup) f fresh red, yellow and green bell peppers
- 4 agaricus (button) mushrooms cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon drained bottled capers, rinsed, patted dry
- 100 grams feta, cubed
- 10 large torn fresh basil leaves
- Clean and wash calamari. Set aside to drain. See how to clean calamari here.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the calamari and sauté, stirring until it releases its juices. Add wine and stir until the alcohol evaporates and then add salt and pepper, bay leaves and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, cover with the lid, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile cook pasta al dente according to the instructions on the package.
- In a non stick frying pan add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the mushrooms and the peppers for 2 minutes.
- When the squid is soft it should remain with just a little sauce. Discard the bay leaves and add the pasta, mushrooms, peppers, olives, capers, feta and basil leaves and mix for a few seconds.
- Serve immediately.
I am submitting this recipe to Psychgrad, of Equal Opportunity Kitchen, who is hosting one of my favourite events, Presto Pasta Nights, created by Ruth, of Once Upon a Feast.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!