Strawberry Sauce (coulis) is very easy to make and delicious. This sauce is perfect as topping on ice creams, crepes, pancakes, waffles etc.
Leftover liquid can also be used to make strawberry flavoured puddings without adding any additional sugar.
The cooking time is about 10 – 15 minutes, from boiling point, on medium heat mixing now and then.
The amount of sugar is up to you if you want this sauce to be very sweet, increase the amount of sugar. If they are cooked more time they will become like jam.
You can make the sauce vegan by omitting the butter.
You can also omit the brandy if you are making it for your children. Just add the strawberries, sugar, a few tablespoons water, just enough to wet the sugar and cook them for 10 – 15 minutes. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice at the end.
If you make a bigger quantity, you can put them in plastic bowls and freeze them.
*If the strawberries are still wet after washing them do not add the water mentioned in the recipe as it will take more time for the sauce to be ready. The brandy is optional and you can use any other liqueur you like to flavour the sauce.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 500 grams fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 shot brandy or other liqueur or 3 tbsp water*
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Wash, hull and cut the fruit into small pieces.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and sauté the strawberries. Add the brandy and mix until the alcohol evaporates.
- Add sugar and mix occasionally for about fifteen minutes. (Some pink foam will form on top but you don't have to skim it as its only the sugar boiling).
- Add the lemon juice, mix and set aside to cool before serving on your favourite dessert.
- Store the remaining sauce in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 879 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 104mg Carbohydrates: 150g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 135g Protein: 4g
PIN FOR LATER
Another similar recipe follows for KIWI sauce.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!