Amazing Sweet and Sour Turkey cooked in a sauce with bell peppers, carrot and pineapple, which makes the sauce delicious.
This recipe was given to me by a friend, years ago before I started blogging and I didn’t think back then to ask her where she got this recipe from.
Until today this is one of my favourite recipes and as the sauce is sweet and sour, it’s one of those meals that you feel that you don’t need a dessert afterwards 🙂
- 1 kilo turkey breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 can (330 ml) beer
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cups bell peppers yellow, red and green
- 1 tinned pineapple 300 gr., together with syrup, each slice cut in six pieces
- 3 - 4 carrots, grated
- The juice of about 4 - 5 oranges (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 grams tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- For thickening
- 1 tablespoon corn flour (optional)
- ¼ cup milk (optional)
- In a saucepan heat half the olive oil and sauté the onion, until translucent.
- Add the bell peppers, the carrots, the pineapple, as well as the pineapple juice, the orange juice, the honey, the vinegar, the tomato and tomato paste, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- In a bigger saucepan heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the turkey on all
- Pour the beer and wait until the alcohol evaporates and then add the sauce (no additional water is necessary).
- Cook for about 1 – 1 ½ hours until the turkey is tender and the sauce is thick.
- If the sauce needs thickening dissolve the corn flour ( corn starch) with the milk and add it to the turkey, stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with Rice Pilaf.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 647Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 134mgSodium 301mgCarbohydrates 74gFiber 6gSugar 47gProtein 54g
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!