Insalata Caprese, which means Salad made in Capri, the region of Campania, in Italy, is a simple salad using plum tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, olive oil and season
I made a twist on this salad using halloumi and mint as well, both in the form of pesto and fresh mint. I wanted to share this salad with you now that there are still some juicy tomatoes. Although this is the most simple salad you can make, don’t think that the taste will be simple as well, as it is full of flavour.
I do not give any specific amounts but depending on the slices of your tomatoes, you will need a slice of mozarella/halloumi and a leaf of basil/mint.
Insalata Caprese – Recipe adapted by Ivy
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 – 4 (1 tomato per person)
- 3 – 4 ripe medium size tomatoes
- Fresh mozzarella balls
- Halloumi slices
- Mint pesto
- Fresh Mint and Basil Leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Peel (optional) and slice the tomatoes.
- Season each piece of tomato with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add ½ tsp pesto on each slice of tomato.
- Top each piece of tomato with mozzarella, alternating with halloumi, a mint leaf and a basil leaf.
- Sprinkle some dried oregano on top and a drizzle of olive oil
A few awards to acknowledge from new and old friends and a fun meme to relax. If any one of you feels like playing feel free to share it on your blog or on facebook.
A new friend Lissie, of Salt and Spice, has passed all these awards. Thanks a lot Lissie!!
I am passing these awards to the following:
Gaye, of Laws of the Kitchen
Rosa, of Rosa’s Yummy Yums
Alison, of Alison’s Trails
Lisa, of Chef in my kitchen
Jeena, of Jeena’s Kitchen
Adam, of Baking with Dynamite
Bunny, of Bunny’s Warm Oven
Heni, of Simplicity by the sea
My friend Gaye, of Laws of the Kitchen has passed on to me the Your Blog is Over The Top award. Thank you so much Gaye.
This award goes with a fun meme which has to be passed on to 6 of your favourite blogs and which has to be answered with only one word.
Here is the meme part:
1. Where is your cell phone: On the charger
2. Your hair: Chestnut
3. Your mother: Deceased
4. Your father: Ditto
5. Your favorite food: Desserts
6. Your dream last night: None
7. Your favorite drink: Coffee
8. Your dream/goal: Relocating
9. What room are you in: livingroom
10. Your hobby: Painting
11. Your fear: Heights
12. Where do you want to be in 6 years: Countryside
13. Where were you last night: Taverna
14. Something you aren’t: Hypocrite
15. Muffins: Banana
16. Wish list item: Garden
17. Where did you grow up: Limassol
18. Last thing you did: Voted
19. What are you wearing: Trainers
20. Your TV: Off
21. Your pets: Died
22. Your friends: Cyprus
23. Your life: Good
24. Your mood: Happy
25. Missing someone: Relatives
26. Vehicle: Yes
27. Something you’re not wearing: Hat
28. Your favorite store: Ikea
29. Your favorite color: Blue
30. When was the last time you laughed: T.V.
31. Last time you cried: Unsure
32. Your best friend: Aliki
33. One place that I go over and over: Nafplio
34. One person who emails me regularly: Aleka
35. Favorite place to eat: Home
I pass the award and meme to:
Angie, of Angies Recipes
Natasha, of 5 Star Foodie
Lissie, of Salt and Spice
Yasmeen, of Health Nut
Reeni, of Cinnamon & Spice
Soma, of eCurry
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!
Monday 12th of October 2009
nice lovely colour..
Choosy Beggar Tina
Sunday 11th of October 2009
Ivy, this looks GORGEOUS! We made a similar caprese twist just last week with jibneh (similar to halloumi) and I could have eaten the whole tray myself! Yum, yum, YUM!
Wednesday 7th of October 2009
Great take on a caprese salad!
Tuesday 6th of October 2009
I love IKEA too, esp. the market place where they have the cute little things.
I love the twist you did with a different cheese, the pesto & the herbs. I did one few days back, I did a cubed caprese, but i guess it is just varied in the way it looks.
Monday 5th of October 2009
I think I would enjoy just about any combination of cheese, tomato, and herbs! Sounds delicious!