We always stuff a turkey during Christmas and the next day we have lots of leftovers.
This is a dish which I made out of the ingredients I had at home. I had not planned to make it and this morning when I got up I hadn’t yet decided what to prepare with the leftovers. I was thinking of the classical curry with vegetables and rice but then two of my children don’t like curry so I thought of making it as a savory cake, which I have made many time and is delicious. I usually make leftover chicken like this and it is very good but it is a side dish. I then thought of making a pie with puff pastry or to make something new. I decided to try the latter. I hope we’ll like it and you’ll like it as well, if you every try it.
The result, I must say, was more than I expected. My children like eating only the breast and there were only a few slices left. The rest was thighs and wings and they did not complain about that, so I must say it was excellent.
Turkey Casserole with Leftover Turkey
Preparation time: 1 Hour
Baking time: about half an hour or until golden brown
- 2 – 3 cups of finely cut leftover cooked turkey
- 10 fresh spring onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup grated graviera cheese
- ¼ cup parsley
- Chicken seasoning
- Leftover turkey stuffing (optional)
For the mashed potatoes:
- 4 – 5 potatoes
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of grated Mozzarella
- Peel potatoes, cut in quarters and boil until soft. Prepare mush potatoes but add a pinch of nutmeg in the end.
- Cut turkey into very small pieces.
- Finely cut spring onions and parsley.
- Peel and grate with potato peeler thin stripes of carrots.
- Sauté the onions and add turkey. Add carrots, seasoning, salt and pepper, parsley, ½ cup of water and stir for five minutes. Add flour and cheese and mix.
- Grease an oven proof glass tin and add 2 – 3 tablespoons of mashed potatoes.
- Add a layer of turkey and a layer of stuffing on top.
- Finish with a layer of mashed potatoes, which place spoon by spoon and then spread carefully.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake in a preheated oven to 180 degrees centigrade until golden.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!