Patates Antinahtes is a Cypriot side dish, made with whole baby potatoes with the skin on, which are fried and then cooked in red dry wine, flavoured with coriander seeds and cumin.
Patates Antinahtes means “Tossed Potatoes”. They have taken their name from the way they are cooked, as they are tossed in the sauce pan to be coated with the spices until they absorb the wine.
What ingredients are needed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red dry wine
- Salt, pepper, coriander and cumin
How to make Patates Antinahtes
These baby potatoes are scrubbed and washed very well and then they are cracked. To crack them you can use a mullet, a stone or a dowel.
Then they are fried in olive oil. T
They are then removed from the saucepan and after leaving a few tablespoons of olive oil in the pan they are put back again and seasoned with salt, pepper, crushed coriander seeds and cumin.
Finally red dry wine is added as well as some water and are regularly tossed, until the potatoes are cooked and become soft.
This dish may be a vegan meal on itself served with a salad or served as a side dish with roasted or grilled meat.
This is one of the many Cypriot recipes which are included in my cookbook Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!
- 2 kilos (4.40 lbs) baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon crashed coriander seeds
- 1 cup red dry wine
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin (optional)
- Wash the potatoes well and then scrub them with a sponge.
- Î—it them with a mallet or a stone or pestle so that they crack. (By breaking them they are cooked right through are absorb all the flavours).
- In a large skillet add about 2 cm olive oil and fry them, turning them occasionally until they have a nice colour.
- Remove them into a saucepan adding about four or five tablespoons of hot oil from the frying pan, the crashed coriander seeds, salt, pepper, cumin and wine.
- Place lid on the pan and toss every now and then for five minutes until the potatoes have become soft inside and absorb the aromas of the coriander seeds and wine.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 132Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 124mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 2g
"These values are automatically calculated and offered for guidance only. Their accuracy is not guaranteed."
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,