This vegan carrot cake is so easy to make, it is moist and tastes fantastic. You can eat it as it is or add a glaze on top!
It’s been like crazy the last few days. I’ve had too many things to do and so little time.
Today I was out all morning and I’ve been cooking and baking since noon.
We started fasting and they wanted something to eat.
I made this cake today and it is very easy to make. You just mix everything together and it’s ready.
The chocolate and marmalade glazing is something I added just the last minute.
I’ve made it again using an icing on top.
If you want a different glaze, see also my vegan chocolate ganache with tahini.
I am submitting this recipe over to Gretchen Noel of Canella y Comino, who is hosting the event Thinks Spice …Think Cloves created by Sunita, of Sunita’s World.
- 700 grams self rising flour
- 400 grams grated carrots
- 250 grams corn oil
- 175 grams sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- Zest of an orange
- 100 grams walnuts
- 100 grams raisins
- 1 spoonful of lemon juice
- 1 shot of brandy (30 ml)
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For Lemon Glaze:
- 75 grams icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon (or orange juice)
- 125 grams couverture chocolate (or other vegan chocolate)
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 tbsp lemon marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 180ο C.
- In a big bowl whisk oil with sugar and add the grated carrot.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the orange juice and add it to the mixture.
- Add all other ingredients except the walnuts, and glazing ingredients.
- Pour it in a greased and floured 26 cm baking tin or Bundt form and add the walnuts on top.
- Bake for about 1 hour until a knife inserted in the centre, comes out clean.
- Remove to a rack to cool.
- Prepare the glaze: Melt the chocolate together with the margarine in the microwave. Mix in the chocolate a spoonful of citrus marmalade (I used my lemon marmalade) and glaze the cake.
- For an easier glaze, add the lemon or orange juice in a bowl. Add the icing sugar and mix until you make a spreadable frosting. Pour it on top of the cake.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 505Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 0mgSodium 882mgCarbohydrates 81gFiber 4gSugar 31gProtein 8g