It’s been like crazy the last few days. I’ve had too many things to do and so little time. Today I was out all morning and I’ve been cooking and baking since noon. We started fasting and they wanted something to eat. I made this cake today and it is very easy to make. You just mix everything together and it’s ready. The chocolate and marmalade glazing is something I added just the last minute.
I am submitting this recipe over to Gretchen Noel of Canella y Comino, who is hosting the event Thinks Spice …Think Cloves created by Sunita, of Sunita’s World.
Vegan Carrot Cake with Chocolate (Lenten)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
- 700 grams of self rising flour
- 400 grams of grated carrots
- 1 glass (250 grams) corn oil
- 1 glass (175 grams) sugar
- 1 cup of orange juice
- zest of an orange
- 100 grams of walnuts
- 100 grams of raisins
- 1 spoonful of lemon juice
- 1 shot of brandy
- ½ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 couverture chocolate (without milk)
- 1 tablespoon of margarine
- 1 tablespoonful of orange or lemon marmalade (optional)
- Preheat oven at 180ο.
- In a big bowl whisk oil and sugar and add the grated carrot.
- In the orange and lemon juice dissolve the baking soda and add to mixture.
- Add all other ingredients except the walnuts, and glazing ingredients.
- Place in a greased and floured tin and place the walnuts on top. Bake for about 1 hour until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool down and melt the chocolate together with the margarine in the microwave.
- Mix in the chocolate a spoonful of orange or lemon marmalade (I used my lemon marmalade) and glaze the cake.