Black forest or Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, is a famous German dessert and one of my all times favourite cake.
Looking through my recipes I found a Cherry Black Forest Cake which I did not manage to post last year, so I thought I should share it with you now that the cherry season is here.
You can make this cake with fresh cherries or cherry preserve (glyko tou koutaliou).
If using a ready made preserve, just add some water and dilute it then add the rum and cook for a few minutes.
To make the jelly you will need for 1/2 litre hot syrup and 6 gelatine leaves or 1 sachet gelatine powder. See how I have made it here.
I have posted similar recipes in the past, so I am just going to give you the links.
Cherry Black Forest
You will need:
- 1 sponge cake with cocoa
- Double dose chantilly
- Caramelized Rum Cherries ( see recipe below) or Cherry Compote or Cherry Spoon Sweet
- Grated Couverture Chocolate
Caramelized Rum Cherries
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons rum
30 – 40 cherries pitted
- Prepare the sponge cake in a spring form baking tin.
- While it is baking prepare the caramelized cherries: In a non stick frying pan add sugar, lemon juice and rum and mix continuously for a few minutes until the sugar melts and begins to caramelize. Add the cherries and mix continuously for about five minutes. (If you are using spoon sweet, dissolve the syrup with some water, so that it is not too sweet).
- When the sponge cools, divide it in two parts and wet both with some of the cherry syrup.
- Drain the cherries and prepare the jelly*. Add the cherries and let it cool until it begins to set.
- Put one of the sponges on a platter and put the ring of the pan back on the cake again.
- Add half of the whipped cream and some of the cherries. Cover with the second sponge and refrigerate while the jelly is setting.
- Add the cherries in the centre of the cake and refrigerate again until the jelly sets.
- Remove the spring form and decorate with the remaining whipped cream and grated chocolate.
Other Relevant Recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!!