This vegan Chocolate Carrot cake is moist and delicious with a chocolate – tahini glaze on top, which makes it not only healthy but also irresistible.
Today is my second son’s Birthday. Happy Birthday Kyriacos!
Unfortunately I couldn’t make him a birthday cake as he is in Athens but his sister made one for him.
Yesterday I invited my neighbours to come over for a cup of coffee and as most people are fasting for the Easter period, I made this vegan chocolate carrot cake.
The cake is based on another carrot cake I made five years ago but this time I made a lot of changes.
When I decided to make this cake yesterday morning, I checked in the closets to see what ingredients were leftover before leaving to Athens, so I had to adjust it with whatever was available.
To begin with, I did not have the time to weigh exact quantities used but most of it is accurate.
The only ingredient which is not accurate is the amount of flour used. I added enough so that I had a batter with the right consistency of a cake batter.
If you are not experienced making cakes, I cannot guarantee about its success but I believe that by 95% it will be fine but the risk is yours.
Start with 300 grams flour and add more, if necessary.
The baking time differs a lot from the previous recipe. My new oven is fan forced and I was surprised to see that it was ready in 35 minutes, instead of 1 hour which was the case in my older recipe.
The cake was moist and delicious. If you like tahini, the chocolate – tahini glaze on top was amazing but if you don’t like it you can still add the one I made in the older recipe.
- 350 grams all-purpose flour
- 300 grams carrots, grated
- 1 cup mild extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- Zest of an orange
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 shot (about 30 ml) orange liqueur or other liqueur or brandy
- 50 grams cocoa powder
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- 60 grams roasted walnuts
- 50 grams raisins
- 2 tbsp vegan chocolate couverture chips
For the Chocolate Tahini glaze:
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1 tsp orange zest
- A pinch of coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Preheat oven to 170οC / 338οF (fan forced) and place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Beat sugar with olive oil on full speed for 5 minutes.
- Lower speed and add orange juice, orange liqueur, vanilla, vinegar and the grated carrot.
- Sieve flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, cinnamon and cloves and mix in salt, orange zest, raisins and walnuts.
- Add all other dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Place in a 26 cm baking tin lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove to a rack.
- In a double boiler add the orange juice and when warm add the cocoa powder and mix. Add zest and margarine and when it melts add the icing sugar, salt and pepper and mix until the ingredients are incorporated. Add tahini and mix to combine.
- While the cake is still warm, remove it from the baking tin and gradually pour the glazing on top and let it drip without spreading it.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 575Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 22gCholesterol 0mgSodium 322mgCarbohydrates 71gFiber 4gSugar 34gProtein 7g
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,