Banana Honey-Tahini Almond Bread is a twist to the classic cake, made with ripe bananas and many healthy ingredients such as tahini, honey and almonds.
Although we have not left on vacation this year, we have been away again for a fews days. This summer it’s been really hot and humid here in Athens, not the kind of weather that one could stay on the computer for long. Whenever we can we go to the beach or get away for the weekend. We have visited Nafplion a few times and during one of our trips there on our way back we visited Epidavros.
Our last trip was to Sparta last week. During our stay there we visited Gytheio and the villages of Vamvakou and Arachova (Karyai) on Parnonas, which is the mountain range opposite Taygettus. Shall write about our trips in another post.
When we came back, I found that some bananas which were left behind had became black outside and ripe inside, so the first thing that came to my mind was to make banana bread but not the usual one you all know. I made it with less butter by substituting it with honey-tahini (if you don’t have honey tahini, just add honey to plain tahini until it is sweet enough) and almonds making it a very tasty and much healthier cake. If you like tahini you will love this cake.
On another note, this month marks the 3 year anniversary of Kopiaste. I can’t believe that I have been blogging for three years. It seems like yesterday when I started blogging. The first blog was bilingual as I wrote both in English and Greek and a few months later, I decided to have two separate blogs, one in English and one in Greek.
Thank you all my dear readers for your love and support, as I know I couldn’t do it without you!!
Banana Honey-Tahini Almond Bread
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: about 55 minutes
- 70 grams (2,5 oz) butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup honey-tahini
- 1 cup (220 grams – 7,75 oz) brown sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- ½ cup blanched almonds, coarsely cut
- Pre-heat oven to 180o C / 350o F. Beat together butter, tahini and sugar on high speed for 10 minutes, scraping the bowl when necessary. Lower speed and add eggs one at a time.
- Add bananas and mix until they mash, then add the nuts.
- Meantime, sieve flour with salt, baking soda and mixed spice. Lower mix speed and add the flour gradually into the mixture and beat until light and fluffy.
- Grease a 31 x 11 cm (12 x 4 inches) loaf pan and empty batter, which should not exceed the middle of the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on your oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then take out of pan and cool on wire rack.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!!