Profiteroles are made with choux pastry. I’ve been wanting to make profiteroles for a long time but instead of making the classic profiteroles I made a cheesecake and added them on top.
I know I should be posting some of the recipes mentioned in my post for 24, 24. 24 post, when we celebrated George’s name day but they will have to wait as today is my other son’s birthday and I wanted to share this event with you.
It’s been a while since I wanted to make profiteroles but apart from the food I prepared for the party all the other days we are still eating healthy and of course desserts are out of the question. I promise after I post the party recipes I will get back to more healthy recipes again.
Last night I was thinking over and over again how I could make profiteroles but still I didn’t want to serve them just with some melted chocolate on top or putting them in a large bowl and filling it with cream. I wanted to combine them with a birthday cake so that he could also blow his candles. I rejected the idea of making sponge cake and sandwiching them in the middle and this was the best idea I could think of.
As I did not have a recipe to follow the choux pastry made 24 choux, out of which I used the 21.
The cream cheese mixture and whipping cream was more than I needed but they were used to fill the other 3 which made another bowl of profiterole.
Profiterole Chocolate Cheesecake, Recipe by Ivy
For the Choux pastry:
Makes: about 24, depending on their size
- 130 grams butter
- 130 grams all purpose flour
- 300 ml water
- Dash of sugar and salt
- 3 eggs (65 grams each) lightly beaten
For the biscuit base:
- 175 grams chocolate chip cookies
- 25 grams butter
For the whipping cream:
- 750 grams heavy cream (35%)
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the chocolate ganache:
- 200 grams good quality chocolate, divided
- 15 grams butter
- 4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey or syrup
- 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur
For the cream cheese filling:
- Half of the above whipped cream
- 500 grams Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 can condensed milk (397 grams)
- Half of the above melted chocolate
- 1 sachet gelatin
- ½ can of water
- Prepare the choux pastry and make small choux.
- Whisk the heavy cream with sugar and vanilla until peaks form.
- Fill a pastry bag using a nozzle with half of the cream and set aside in the refrigerator.
- In the remaining whipped cream add the cream cheese and milk and beat.Meanwhile fill the tin of the condensed milk up to the middle with water and dissolve the gelatine.
- In a double boiler melt the chocolate and add half in the gelatin mixture and mix.Add this to the cream cheese, vanilla essence and mix well.Set aside the remaining melted chocolate, which will be heated again in the double boiler, after the cream sets.
- While this is done put the biscuits in a food processor and powder.Add the butter and mix to combine.
- Empty the biscuits in a 28 cm spring form pan and press with your fingers so that it goes everywhere.Empty the cream cheese mixture and spread well.
- Make a slit in each choux and fill with whipped cream.Arrange on top of the cream cheese mixture.Fill in the gaps with whipped cream.Refrigerate for at least 2 – 3 hours, until it sets.
- Meanwhile make the chocolate sauce. Melt the chocolate again in a double boiler until it melts and add the butter. Remove from the heat and stir in the honey, liqueur and whipping cream and mix well.
- Serve over the cheesecake.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!!