This is adishIusedtocookmanyyearsago and I can’t even remember where I got the recipe from, probably from a magazine. I have copied the recipe in my first recipe book and as myhusband also enjoys cooking every now and then, when I used to work he would cook more often, finding recipes from my recipe book. He learned to cook it however as we don’t eat beef often, we sort of forgot about this dish and imagine how many years we haven’t cooked it that my daughter who is nearly 16 never tried it.Well, every now and then my husband used to brag and say to the children “you should taste my Bourguignon” but the children would laugh as they never did.
So now that I had the accident and my husband took over the kitchen, he finally made bourguignon for us,etvoila.
Most recipes add bacon but my husband skips it.We also omit the mushrooms because the children don’t all like them.
When buying meat I always ask my butcher to give me a meat net (about 12 inches) which I use for the bouquet garni.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time:1 ½ – 2 hours
- 1 kilo boneless stewing beef, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 2 – 3 stalks of celery
- 4 fresh parsley stems (no leaves)
- 4 fresh coriander stems
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 4 onions, chopped or 1 kilo small pearl onions
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, cut into 4 slices and then cut in half
- 1 can of whole tomatoes, blended
- ½ cup of tomato puree (pummaro)
- 1 large glass of dry red wine
- 500 grams mushrooms
- Wash beef,strain, cut in cubes, pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a plastic bag as well as beef, hold on top, then shake to coat meat.
- Heat half quantity of oil in a frying pan until hot but not smoking, then brown beef well on all sides.When browned add the brandy and wine and leave it 2 or 3 minutes to allow alcohol to evaporate.Transfer to sauce pan.
- Simultaneously in another frying pan with remaining oil sauté the onions and the garlic and when done transfer to sauce pan as well.
- Have celery, parsley, coriander stems, bay leaves, and cloves prepared beforehand and inserted in the net.Tie ends to make a bouquet garni (tuck cloves into celery so they don’t fall out). Add to meat, as well as the carrots.
- Add all the tomato and enough water to cover meat.Place lid and when it begins to boil, lower heat and cook until it for about1 ½ – 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- About 15 minutes before meat is done add olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. When meat is done, add the mushrooms to the meat mixture, stir well and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Remove bouquet garni before serving.