No kitchen is complete without a bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and if for one reason or another you are not using Olive Oil, it’s never too late to start and also now is your chance to win one.
Olive oil is a healthy fat and most health-conscious people choose olive oil over other oils when cooking.
I will go so far as to say that it is absolutely essential in desserts as well. Any healthy kitchen can use heart-healthy olive oil to make cakes, cookies, muffins, scones, brownies, biscotti etc., but also use it in other traditional desserts using butter. Try and substitute it with olive oil, eliminating saturated and trans fats – butter, hydrogenated oils, margarine and shortening, that are staples in many traditional desserts, without sacrificing flavour or texture.
Using olive oil in desserts gives you the opportunity to try new and wonderful flavor combinations.
If you are still reluctant to use olive oil, read here a few of its health benefits and a few of its properties:
- High levels of polyphenol antioxidants, which are good for your heart
- Helps maintain a healthy balance of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fats in your body
- Healthy monounsaturated fats
There are a few types of extra virgin olive oils: Agourelaio – mild/delicate – medium and robust.
If you have never used olive oil before in baking, it is best to use the mild/delicate type in desserts in order to discover the amazing, delicate and fruity taste. However, I have often used the medium type (paradosiako) with excellent results.
My experience in baking is when substituting butter for olive oil is to use less olive oil. For example if the recipe calls for 1 cup butter, use ¾ cup olive oil. The result may be a more dense and moist cake but the taste amazing.
If you would like to participate to this event, here are the rules:
1. Post a cake recipe (sweet or savory) you have created or tweaked using Olive Oil. Other desserts such as cookies, muffins, cup cakes, scones, brownies and biscotti, are also acceptable. We don’t want recipes which are copied exactly from other existing recipes. All the recipes will be accepted and the readers will vote to decide if they were creative or not.
2. Please e-mail your entries at ivyliac AT gmail DOT com. Posts must contain the phrase Creative Concoctions #5 – Cooking with Olive Oil and must include a link to Kopiaste.. to Greek Hospitality. Feel free to use the new logo if you like.
3. In your email please also include Creative Concoctions #5 in the subject as well as the following information, which copy paste and fill the details:
- M Name:
- My Blog Name/URL:
- My Post URL:
- Attach a photo (500 px wide).
(If you don’t know how to do this please send me a big picture and I will resize it for you).
4. If you don’t have a blog but have a Facebook account you can post your recipe and photo creating a Note on Facebook. For those not having a food related blog nor a Facebook account but would still like to participate, you may e-mail the recipe to me with the name of the dish, a photo, your name and location and provided you comply with the rules, the recipe will be hosted here on my blog as a guest post on your behalf.
5. Only recipes in English are acceptable, so if you have a blog in an other language, the recipe must also be translated into English.
6. As stated in previous events, each entry will be numbered as soon as received and there will be a giveaway when we reach 100 entries using Random.org. However, the participants in the Olive Oil events will have the chance to also win “Altis” Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil at the end of each event. The readers will vote and the participants getting the most votes will be the winners.
7. Please send your entries from 1st – 12th June, 2011. The roundup will be posted on the 13th June and there will be a short period of voting. The winners will be announced onTuesday the 14th June, in the morning (Athens time).
8. The winners must provide by e-mail to me, their Tax Identification Number (TIN) in order that Elais may dispatch the Olive Oil.
9. You are free to link to other events as well.
- I have not received any kind of payment from the Company either in money or in products but I have tried and enjoyed this product for many years and I am trying to give you an opportunity to do so too!
- No purchase is necessary to enter or win.
- The winners will be announced at the end of the roundup post but also notified by me by e-mail. Their names and address (no P.O.Box is acceptable) will be sent by e-mail y to “Altis” as they will und ertake the shipping of the product.
- The Winners must claim their prize within 1 week after notification or the prize will be added to the next event.
- “Altis” will pay for shipping and postage. Any tax, is the sole responsibility of the winner.
- In case something “bad” happens on the way, we are sorry but both “Altis” and “Kopiaste” will not be considered liable, as this is beyond our control.
By entering you agree to all the above.
I look forward to reading everyone’s entries, so join the fun with your yummy concoctions 🙂
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!