This quick and easy Fussili dish, although made much healthier than an a regular pasta dish, it is still bursting with flavour. A recipe everybody loves, especially the children.
However, cheeses and bacon and cream are not so healthy, as they contain too much fat, so I have tried to make a “healthier” version of a recipe I used to make lots of years ago, substituting the cheeses I used, such as regato, gouda, kerrygold, edam, with other low fat cheeses I find in Greece, such as anthotyros (similar to ricotta), farmers cheese, milner, cheddar, gouda, kolios and xynomyzithra.
If you like you can leave the bacon out and use more low fat mozzarella or smoked turkey. Instead of bacon, you can add leftover cooked chicken or low fat sausages.
Fussili pasta with 4 different cheeses
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 15 + 30 minutes
- 1 packet of fussili pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 10 slices of bacon or smoked turkey, cut into pieces
- 1 cup of low fat melting cheeses (milner, cheddar, gouda, kolios or xynomyzithra)
- 100 ml Greek yoghurt or fresh cream (light)
- 2 eggs
- Bread crumbs
- Boil pasta in salty water according to package instructions. Drain and transfer to a large baking dish.
- In a non stick frying pan sauté the bacon until crispy and discard any fat. Remove on kitchen paper and then cut into pieces.
- Heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Pour over pasta and mix in the cheeses, leaving some to sprinkle on top as well as bacon and turkey. Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs with the yoghurt or fresh cream and pour on the pasta and mix.
- Sprinkle with more cheese and bread crumbs.
- Preheat oven at 180o C and bake until the cheese melt and bread crumbs are lightly toasted.
Fussili can be substituted with fussili tricolore or with penne, fettuccini,or rigatoni etc.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!