I just made this vegan cake. The glazing on top is still wet. Before preparing flaounes, I made this very easy cake and muffins as I wanted to use the oven so that the kitchen was warm, for the dough to rise.
This is one of the easiest cakes to make as you just mix all the ingredients together. It does not contain any eggs or milk which makes it perfect for those fasting. In the muffins I added some Corinthian currants and black currants. I used black and white couverture chocolate for the glazing which are vegan.
I used my silicone cake bundt form which is not very big so the remaining I made the muffins. I prepared tsourekia yesterday which are filled with a chestnut puree and I glazed them with white and dark chocolate. I melted more chocolate and used the remaining to glaze the cake and muffins.
Vegan Chocolate-Orange Cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: about 1 hour
Makes: 1 20 cm bundt cake and 12 muffins
- 2 1/2+ cups (430 grams) self raising flour
- 1 cup ground blanched almonds (165 grams)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- Corinthian currants and Black currants (about 3 tablespoons)
For Chocolate ganache
See recipe here. I did not add the cream but just mixed some margarine in the chocolate.
- Put all fluids in a bowl and slightly beat with a whisk (no mixer needed).
- Combine all the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add dry ingredients and mix with a spoon.
- Grease a 26 cm baking pan with corn oil , dust with flour and empty batter or use the silicone bundt form (without greasing) and lined muffin tins.
- Bake cake for about an hour in a preheated oven at 170C until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Bake the muffins for about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and cover with chocolate ganache.