Τhis dish is perfect for any party and your guests will be impressed. The filling is based on the same filling I stuff the Christmas Turkey but in case you don’t feel like stuffing a whole turkey this is equally tasty, less messy and costs less.
If you have leftover stuffing when preparing your Christmas turkey, you can freeze it and use it another day or make it from scratch.
The best part is that this dish can be prepared in advance and the only thing you then have to do is bake it with no supervision at all, so that you can have time with your guests.
Stuffed Turkey Roulade
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 1 hour
Makes: about 30 slices
- 2 Turkey breasts (each about 1.500 grams)
- 250-300 grams of chicken livers, fresh or frozen
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and blended
- ½ cup of white dry wine
- ½ cup of rice(Carolina or arborio)
- ½ cup of finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup of boiled chestnuts, cut into small pieces or almonds crushed (with the skin)
- ½ cup of raisins
- Salt – pepper – cinnamon to taste
- ½ cup of water
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
Prepare the stuffing:
- The stuffing can be made in advance and may be deep-freezed or made from the previous day.
- Wash the livers and let them drain from the water then mince them or cut them into small pieces (as small as possible). If you have a food processor where you can grind them, so much the better.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. In a large skillet or sautéing pan, heat the oil and slightly sauté the onion. Before browning add the giblets and sauté as well. Add wine and let the alcohol evaporate. Add, salt, pepper, cinnamon, parsley, boiled and peeled chestnuts (or almonds), raisins, tomatoes and the water and let is simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the rice, lower heat and stir until all the fluids have been absorbed, mixing at regular intervals.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool before stuffing the turkey.
Preparing the Roulade:
- Wash the turkey fillet and pat dry. With a sharp filleting knife you will have to carve the meat so that it will become like a big slice of about 1 – 1 1/2 cm thick. Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Spread a layer of filling (about 1 cm) on the turkey and then form into a roulade (use toothpicks to secure).
- Place each one on a separate piece of parchment paper and roll, removing the toothpicks. Wrap it also in aluminum foil. Place in a baking tin and bake for 1 hour. If you like you can also add seasoned potatoes to cook together with the turkey. In this case you will add, olive oil, lemon juice, and water. In case you are baking potatoes you will have to turn them at least once and add water, if necessary.
- Remove turkey from parchment and aluminum foil and allow to cool completely before slicing.
You can find many Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.
Other related Recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,