Moschari Kokkinisto is a Greek stewed recipe with veal. We don’t prefer beef in Greece so most of the Greek dishes are made with veal. Kokkinisto in Greek means “reddened” which is the final outcome of a veal dished cooked in red wine and tomato. This is a traditional dish which can be made with lamb, chicken, pork, rooster, rabbit or game.
When making it with chicken I prefer to add white wine as the sauce becomes much lighter. Spices vary depending on what you prefer but mostly cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and pepper are used. Pork is also made kokkinisto with the addition of vegetables, such as pork with cauliflower or pork with taro. Vegetables which are cooked in tomato sauce such as cauliflower, potatoes, beans etc. are called giahni or ladera, instead of being called kokkinista.
Kokkinista are usually served with pasta, mashed potatoes, fried potatoes or rice. I found the perfect homemade Cretan pasta for this dish which is a tomato based rose petal shaped pasta.
The recipe “Kotopoulo Kokkinisto” which is a chicken stew, is included in my cookbook Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!
This lovely dish goes to Presto Pasta Nights, which I am hosting this week. Presto Pasta Nights is the brainchild of Ruth and is one of my favourite events and I have been submitting pasta dishes every since I started blogging. Pasta is so versatile that you can combine it with all your favourite ingredients and make a lovely dish without having to spend hours in the kitchen (well sometimes you do!!) but search your closets and find what kind of pasta you have there and in half an hour you can feed your family. So what are you waiting for, get creative and send me your pasta dish.
I am also submitting this recipe to Bee and Jai, of Jugalbandi, whose brainchild is Click and this month the click event theme is red. I think this dish can’t get more red: red meat, red wine, red pasta and red tomato sauce!!
Moschari Kokkinisto (Stewed Veal)
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1/2 – 2 hours
700 grams veal from the round
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup of olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
3 – 4 allspice berries
10 black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 can (500 grams of peeled whole tomatoes with juice)
1/2 cup of red dry wine
500 grams of rose petals pasta or other pasta
- Wash meat and cut it into 1 1/2 cm thick slices and pat dry.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauteing pan and saute the meat on both sides. Add the onions and garlic and saute them until translucent.
- Add the wine and cook for a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate and then add all the spices, salt, bay leaves and tomato, as well as 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the meat is tender and soft and the sauce is reduced and thickened.
- In a separate sauce pan heat the water and add salt and boil pasta for 12 minutes or according to package instructions.
- Drain pasta and mix in with the sauce.
- Serve with pasta, rice, mashed potatoes or fried potatoes and some feta.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,