Gavros Marinatos (marinated anchovies) are like sushi. Actually the fish is not totally raw as by marinating them into an acidic liquid, such as vinegar or lemon juice, it’s like cooking them and serving with with extra virgin olive oil, garlic and oregano makes an amazing appetizer.
This time of the year anchovies are in abundance and are affordable and a popular choice among the fish, everything being so expensive. You can buy a kilo at about 4 – 5 euros at the fishmongers’ or 2 – 3 euros at the farmers’ market.t
Anchovies are one of those foods that many people hate because of bad memories from the canned ones.
Fresh anchovies are nothing to compare with those canned ones as they are so delicious and if you can find fresh anchovies, give them another chance, as they may be cooked in many ways.
For those reading my blog regularly, I wrote at the beginning of May that during the days my sons were sick, my husband went to buy some fresh fish for a soup for the boys and he called me to ask if I wanted some fresh anchovies for us. I thought that it was a good idea as we didn’t have them for a while and told him that ½ kilo would be enough for us. I would fry them and serve them with a big salad.
As usually my husband asks my opinion about something but he always ends up doing what he has in mind.
Instead of half a kilo he bought about a kilo, so when I asked him “Who is going to eat all this?” he said “Why don’t you marinate some? ”
Actually it wasn’t a bad idea after all, as we loved it and there are so many things you can do with it.
I am submitting this recipe to Michelle of The Accidental Scientist, who is hosting this month’s event called “Herbal essences HotM 15” where we have to incorporate our herbs into heart healthy recipes. Anchovies are rich in Omega 3 fats which are considered to be very healthy for the heart and the anchovies are marinated with garlic and oregano, two very healthy herbs and of course preserved in olive oil.
- 1/2 kilo fresh anchovies
- Wine vinegar (enough to cover them)
- Salt (at will)
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- Wash and cut the head pulling out the guts.
- With a filleting knife cut it in the middle and remove spine and tail and any remaining guts. Wash again and strain.
- Place them in a bowl with a lid placing a layer of anchovies, salt, garlic, vinegar. Repeat until they are all placed and finally they should be covered with vinegar.
- Place lid and store in the refrigerator and let them marinate overnight.
- The following day drain them from the vinegar and sprinkle some oregano and cover them in olive oil.
- They can be preserved in the fridge for a week to ten days.
Other similar recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,