My friend Elly, is hosting the event Eat to the Beat. Actually, I was planning to prepare something else for her event but I did not have time to prepare it as I will be away for a few days.
I was planning “Torta Fragola” an Italian recipe for Strawberry cake which I hope to make and publish soon. This song is for all of you.
“Strawberries, cherries and an angel’s kiss in spring
My summer wine is really made from all these things
Take off your silver spurs and help me pass the time
And I will give to you…summer wine
Oh…summer wine ..”
As I did not have enough time to make this cake, my second choice was to make this fantastic easy chicken recipe called “Chicken Espinoza”, with oranges and honey. The sweet and sour sauce is the star of this delicious dish. I found this recipe years ago in a magazine but I don’t know anything else about it’s origin as after googling it I found no results. The only thing relevant was a cookbook by an author named Espinoza.
I will give you some beat with a children’s’ song Thomas the Train and have some fun and laughter listening to it, although I am sorry the quality of the video is very bad.
This is my entry for the event Eat to the Beat, hosted by Elly’s of Elly Says Opa.
- 2 chicken breasts (about 600 grams) cut into thin slices
- 1 lemon – 1/2 for juice (about 4 tbsp) and ½ for decoration
- 1 ½ oranges cut into cubes and ½ cut in slices used for the decoration
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 heaped spoonful of thyme honey
- Salt and pepper
- 1 shot (about 50 ml) of orange liqueur
- Flour for dredging
- 2 cups of parboiled long grained rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1 sachet of Kozani saffron
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Reserve a few slices of oranges and lemons for decoration and from the remaining take the juice.
- Wash chicken breasts and removes skin and bones which boil in four cups of water and after removing froth, add some salt. Boil for half an hour discard bones and skin and boil rice for 20 minutes or according to package instructions. Add saffron half way through. Drain if there is any water and add butter and place in a mold.
- While chicken bones are boiling for the broth, cut chicken breasts in thin slices, add salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Heat oil in a skillet and shallow fry chicken on both sides. Do not over-load skillet.
- Remove in a platter until all chicken is shallow fried.
- Empty hot oil in a metallic bowl or in another pan leaving only 2 – 3 spoonfuls of oil.
- Place the chicken back in the skillet again, pour the liqueur over it and light it. (Do not panic, the flame will not last for long as alcohol evaporates. If you are scared, leave it until you feel more confident and again the alcohol will evaporate).
- Add the orange and lemon juices, the honey and the walnuts and stir for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the cubed oranges, stir and serve immediately.
- Place rice in the middle of a round platter, add chicken round the rice and decorate with the orange and lemon slices.
You can find my Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.
Other related Recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,