Roasting a chicken takes a little longer than some other cooking methods, but it actually requires very little preparation time.
This is one of the most easy Greek dishes but so tasty with lemony potatoes which absorb all the lovely Greek flavours, from the olive oil and Greek herbs.
Kotopoulo Psito sto Fourno (Greek Roasted Chicken)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Roasting time: About 2 hours
Serves: 6 persons
- 1 whole chicken, about 1.5 kilos
- 10 medium sized potatoes
- 1 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Salt, pepper, oregano
- 1 clove of garlic, optional (inserted in meat)
- 11/2 cups of water
- Clean and wash the chicken and insert the garlic in the chicken breast.
- Peel and wash potatoes, which first cut in halves and then each half, cut diagonally, into 2 – 3 pieces. Season with salt, pepper and oregano both chicken and potatoes. Add some of the seasoning inside the chicken cavity.
- Put the chicken into a roasting pan, breast facing down.
- Add the olive oil on top of the chicken and the lemon juice and water not directly on the chicken so as not to wash off the seasoning.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees and roast on both sides, turning once, for about 2 hours, adding more water if necessary.